Pages

Tuesday, 24 December 2013

The Walking Dead - TV series 1 Rick Grimes

THE WALKING DEAD TV SERIES 1

Rick Grimes:

The Rick Grimes action figure is in 5" scale and comes packed on a blister card. There are a couple of variants of cards; the wide rectangular type and the smaller thinner version. I prefer the fat cards myself. Ok; let's talk about the figure itself; these are allegedly taken from 3d scans of the actors themselves. I personally don't think they have done the best job on the face - I find it looks better from side on perspective, from the front it seems too bulky but overall it's not bad.


AMC The Walking Dead Rick Grimes Series 1


Articulation is quite limited; but that's ok - the reality is that these figures are designed for adults and not necessarily to be played with in the way you might have played with your action figures when you were 10. The paint job again is not the best; noticed overlaps and hairline parts missing; but again; you really need to get up close to notice. The figures have certainly improved in quality in later seasons. I like the little thing like the mud on the boots and trousers and the general sense of wear and dirt on the clothes.

If your intention is for displays then they do a perfectly good job; you can set up some really cool scenes for display and they perform that function well. Me, I keep everything on the cards; I love the packaging as much as the figs and refuse to remove them...yes yes I know...but to those of you who remove them from there blisters, I say to thee.....HEEEEEATHANS! I jest of course, each to their particular boat :)

The packaging is actually really nice, the blisters are solid and I like the orange / red coloring. The back of the packaging features the four figures on release; but does not feature the Black and White Bloody Variant (B&W) that’s available for Rick Grimes.
AMC The Walking Dead Rick Grimes Series 1 Packaging

AMC The Walking Dead Rick Grimes Series 1 Black and White variant

Speaking of the B&W; this is identical in every way to the normal Rick except of course it’s....black and white; though not entirely, the blood splatters are a nice red which contrasts with the lack of color quite nicely. These are getting pretty hard to find now and the price is creeping up (around £95 as of December 2013) but well worth getting; I think it looks brilliant!  As of the 24th of December 2013; I can see one Series 1 Rick Grimes for sale on Amazon; but hunt around and you may get lucky!

Overall, I like the Rick figure; it's certainly not perfect and as an actual toy has limited poses etc. but those same restrictive poses work quite well when setting up displays. The comics and TV show are huge and only gathering more fans - as an investment I think they are pretty decent; the prices have more than tripled since release and show little signs of slowing down. Remember if you are buying as an investment, condition will be everything; ensure you take the necessary steps to protect them; especially if you intend to display them in a case or on shelves.   You can pick up a Series two Rick Grimes here for a much more reasonable price.

The accessories you get with Rick pretty cool; I really like the variety and of course you’re not limited to putting them with one character. Rick comes with a revolver, Shotgun, Baseball bat (not as cool as comic book Negans!) a grenade and a radio.

The Walking dead series 1 Black and White Variant